May 9, 2011

What Country Are These BATMAN Comics From?

Anyone who has been reading the BAT-BLOG for any length of time knows that I am totally goo-goo for Batman "Foreign Comic Books", ha! But here are two ( images, not actual books ) that I recently found & I have no idea where they're from. So, this post was made to ask everyone out there, "Do you know what country these came from or maybe the publisher?" Both of them look like reprints. The 1st one with the Joker on the cover has the artwork from the original cover to Joker #2. The next comic is a reprint of a 1960's story with classic art by Carmine Infantino. I forget the number of the actual BATMAN issue but it's a very iconic image.

15 comments:

John Golden said...

It's Portuguese, so Portugal or Brazil. Great language and awesome people, either case.

Anonymous said...

They're in Portugese, and I'd guess they were either from Portugal or Brazil.

Devlin Thompson said...

Well, the fact that the text is Portugese would strongly suggest Brazil... or Portugal, I guess. Most likely Brazil, though.

Escoteiro said...

This two comic books is from BRAZIL!

Anonymous said...

According to my sister-in-law, who's from Brazil, that's where it's from. The language on the cover is Portuguese and the price is in Brazilian currency. I didn't show her the second one, but I assume it's also from Brazil.

Anonymous said...

These books appear to be from Brazil. First, the text is in Portuguese, which narrows it down rather quickly. Then, the price is listed in terms of Cr$, which stands for Cruzeiros, a short-lived Brazilian currency.

- Peter Haag

Anonymous said...

Brazil

Rafael said...

Hello there,
Both covers are from BRAZIL, but they're really old, from a publisher that no longer exists named EBAL (I'd guess they're from early 70's).
The "Batman Em Cores" (Batman in color) cover reads "That's the... end!". The other one with the Joker is well translated.
Hope it helped!

Anonymous said...

The language looks like Portugese, so I'm guessing Portugal or Brazil.

Dado Ellis said...

They are from Brazil! ;-)

Pat said...

Both issues are from Brazil and both issues were published reasonably close (a few months or less) to their US publication date.

Pat from Nothing But Batman

Infrafan said...

Doing a search, they're written in Portuguese and seem to be from Brazil I think. *shrugs*

Anonymous said...

The artwork on that Batman in prison is by Irv Novick not Carmine Infantino.

Dr Jones said...

Hi.
I am from Brasil and the two covers are from my country. The comics were published in the 60"s (for Batman em cores) and 70's (for the other).

Tommy! said...

Brazil? Cool!! Thanks to everybody for letting me know. Not knowing was driving me crazy, ha!

Thanks,
Tommmy