May 28, 2010

Original 1960's BATMAN POP ART OIL PAINTING By Bob Kane!

WOW! The Bat-Blog is known for sharing a ton of news about Batman but this is actual BAT-HISTORY right here! The image you see up above is a photo of the original Batman Pop Art Oil Painting "done by" Bob Kane, the co-creator of Batman. The pics were sent in by a Bat-Blog Fan named Rick, who actually owns this amazing piece of art ( Be sure to click on it for a larger, sharper, image ). He explained how he got it in this email, he wrote:
In 1966, after the television show hit big, Bob Kane did a series of 12 large pop art oil paintings. This is one of them and, I think, the best of the bunch. I saw about 8 of them in the early 90's when Kane exhibited them at an art gallery in Beverly Hills. Mine was owned by Cary Grant for 20 years and hung in his guest bathroom. I've owned it since 1987.
Oh man! I've known about these paintings for years & it's so cool to actually meet someone who owns one. I've never seen one in real life, only publicity photos. To publish an actual photo of this on my blog is a total honor, no kidding, it's great! Thank you Rick for sharing your story.

4 comments:

Josh said...

Awesome!

Devlin Thompson said...

Didn't he get sued for nonpayment by the actual painter of these, or was that his clown paintings?

Chris Mason said...

I seem to recall some controversy about Kane not painting these particular paintings and hiring someone to paint them for him...

I still have my copy of HOW KIDS ENJOY NEW YOUR tourism booklet from American Airlines with an introduction by Bob Kane... that uses this and other paintings from the set!

CM

Michael Kronenberg said...

Kane did not paint any of these paintings! A woman painted them for him. Not sure about the lawsuit against him, but I wouldn't be surprised. Kane lived a life filled with his own lies and deceptions, starting with Batman's inception in 1939. I'm firmly convinced that the man lied so much, he believed his own deceptions, not knowing what was the truth anymore.