July 21, 2008

Vintage 1970's BATMAN Comic Book Cover # 278

The other day I was talking with a friend about the Bat-Blog. I told him about how I have been writing the blog for 2 years now & I post 2-3 items every single day. OK, sometimes I miss a day but then I post 4-5 items to make it up, ha ha. Anyway, he said what do you do if you don't have an idea for a certain day? I told him, "I post a Classic Batman Comic Book Cover", ha ha. I mean, it's easy to do & it's kinda neat because while it does create "historical reference", it also helps to bring back memories for readers. Like, "Wow, I remember when comics were only 25 cents!" or, "Yeah, I always loved that certain bat-logo." Another thing people like is seeing a favorite artist again like Jim Aparo, Neal Adams, Carmine Infantino, Norm Breyfogle, etc... I asked my friend if he had any bat-memories & he told me this story. "While sitting in the car my Dad went into a 7-11 store & bought me my VERY first comic book, a Batman comic. It was a story about a villain named The Wringer. I must have been about 5 or 6 years old. I remember the appeal the comic had on me because the story was sooo crazy. The villain got his name because he liked to wring necks, ha ha!" Well, ok, this cover is for you Dave! Thanks for sharing your tramatic childhood story. The issue was Batman #278 from Aug 1976. I hope it's not too scary for ya, ha ha ( inside joke ). If any other readers have any nice stories to share about their Batman fandom then please leave a comment below, thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I date back to the Batman tv series in the 1960s; my brother and I used to watch this faithfully and I wanted to grow up to look like Catwoman (or 99 on Get Smart). We played Batman all the time, and collected comics into the mid-70s, though we moved so much we couldn't hang on to things. The whole Bat-thing got a reboot with the publication of the first main graphic novels in the 1980s and the release of Tim Burton's film. Now, of course, with Christopher Nolan's films it's gone into overdrive: graphic novels and action figures and t-shirts, oh my! And I'm writing fanfiction again! And I don't think I'm too old to be doing this in my 40s, not at all!

mothpete said...

By 1998 I was an avid Phantom comic collector and didn't even look at Batman comics because I just couldn't tolerate the memories of the campy tv series. I thought all colour comic books were unfinished story arcs that went on and on, plus I thought the idea of a colourful sidekick was a bit kitschy. I just didn't give Batman a thought until I noticed a batman comic book cover at the newstand that would change my life.

The book was a single story one shot and the cover was dark and grey and Batman was hanging upside down from a tree. Inside the book there was mention that Robin was dead! My obession started there and unfortunately for my wife who I married that year, she had competition.

I've still got the comic and will blog the cover soon. This the 20th year of my fandom encouraged me to get a bat emblem tattoo on my shoulder.