April 15, 2008

Vintage 1960's German SECRETS OF THE BATCAVE Batman Premium Poster!

Recently our friend Guenter, who lives in Germany, sent us this wonderful photo of one of his favorite German Batman collectibles. It's a large poster, that was a mail-away premium, showing a blueprint of Batman & Robin's Bat-Cave. He wrote, "Around 1968 you could collect "Bonus Brands" (labels) in every Batman comic book. For 10 labels you could order a bat-poster for free! It was called "Die Geheimnisse der Bat-Hohle" or in English, "Secrets of the Batcave". Today the poster is approx. 40 years old but still a great piece of art for me that helps me to remember my childhood." WOW! Guenter, this poster, in the USA, is extremely RARE & I mean almost non-existent! I really appreciate you sending the picture for that reason alone but it's also nice to hear your story about how you could mail away for this item, that's nice. Looking at the poster it's extremely detailed. Just like the name it shows all the "Secrets of the Batcave" like the Underground Lake where they store the Bat-Boat, the Garage Area where they repair the Batmobiles, the "Fake Mountain Top" that releases smoke to hide the identity of the Bat-Jet or Bat-Copter, plus all the other rooms with computers & lab supplies, etc...extremely cool! As a little kid you must have spent hours looking at that thing. I know I would have, ha ha! I also noticed, in the bottom right-hand corner, that they put a diagram explaining the capsules of the Bat-Belt. That's cool too! As always, I want to invite all Bat-Blog Readers to send us some RARE Batman-related photos to share & I also wanna thank Guenter again for the great picture, it's awesome!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The poster was originally a double-page spread drawn by Neal Adams and appearing in an 80 Page Giant. I believe it was Batman 203.